Georgia is home to some of the best audio engineering schools in the United States. These schools offer comprehensive programs that cover everything from sound design and mixing to music production and studio management. If you’re interested in pursuing a career in audio engineering, here are some of the top schools in Georgia to consider.
Audio Engineering Schools in Georgia
- The Atlanta Institute of Music and Media: The Atlanta Institute of Music and Media offers a comprehensive Audio and Music Production program that covers everything from the basics of sound design to advanced mixing and mastering techniques. The program is designed to give students a hands-on education in the field of audio engineering, with a focus on practical, real-world experience.
- Savannah College of Art and Design: The Savannah College of Art and Design is another top school for audio engineering in Georgia. Their Sound Design program is designed to prepare students for careers in music production, sound design for film and television, and game audio. The program covers a wide range of topics, including recording techniques, sound design, and mixing and mastering.
- Full Sail University: While not located in Georgia, Full Sail University offers a comprehensive online Audio Engineering program that is accessible to students anywhere in the country. The program covers everything from the basics of sound design to advanced mixing and mastering techniques, and is designed to give students a hands-on education in the field of audio engineering.
- Emory University: Emory University offers a Bachelor of Arts in Music with a concentration in Music Technology. The program covers a wide range of topics, including music theory, composition, and production techniques. Students also have access to state-of-the-art recording studios and equipment, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with other musicians and artists.
- Georgia State University: The School of Music at Georgia State University offers a Bachelor of Music with a concentration in Music Technology. The program covers a wide range of topics, including music production, recording techniques, and studio management. Students also have access to state-of-the-art recording studios and equipment, as well as the opportunity to collaborate with other musicians and artists.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: The Georgia Institute of Technology offers a Bachelor of Science in Music Technology program that covers a wide range of topics, including music theory, audio recording and editing, and computer music programming. The program is designed to prepare students for careers in music production, audio engineering, and sound design.
Read more in the book “The Savvy Studio Owner: A Complete Guide to Setting Up and Running Your Own Recording Studio”
Featured Georgia Audio Programs
- Audio Production (BS)
Your creativity is a big part of who you are and where you’re going. To take it, and your future, as far as you want, you need an education that’s focused on developing your talents and putting you on the path toward the creative career that stirs your imagination.
677 Antone Street NW Atlanta, GA 30318 United States Tel: 888-277-0457
ProMedia Training Atlanta has much to offer those who want to obtain the skills required to work in the audio industry. They have several packages that students can choose from that will allow them to learn everything or specialize in a specific area. You will learn the principles of sound, music theory, ProTools, ADR, and music business, along with several other subjects.
These points are just what you will learn in their audio professional program and doesn’t include anything listed in the other programs. Some of the other packages offered there are the ProTools Core package, and the Operator & Music Production Package that includes ProTools operator certification preparation. The school also offers individual courses for those who may just need training in a specific area.
215 Peachtree Street NW, #300 Atlanta, GA 30303 United States Tel: 404-526-9366
SAE Georgia offers students the opportunity to take part in their audio technology program which is a 900 hour program that includes 360 hours of in-studio time where you will be able to put to use the skills you learned about in the classroom.
Unlike other schools, students are encouraged to make use of the studio’s and practice as much as possible, for free! In addition, the school has a great job placement program that can help you get your foot in the door.
Savannah, GA 31402-3146 United States Tel: 912-525-8541
Savannah College of Art & Design has a one of a kind sound design program that will help you learn the skills needed to work in the career of your dreams. As a prospective student, you can choose from three different degree programs; Bachelor of fine arts, Master of arts, or Master of fine arts.
All three programs will help you get the education required to work in the audio field. As a student you will have the opportunity to obtain your Avid and ProTools post production certifications as part of their programs.
Working as an Audio Engineer in Georgia
The cost of living in Georgia is lower compared to the national average by 3.57%. This is ideal for those who don’t want to pay a high amount of money merely to survive. Cities like Atlanta, have a whole lot to provide.
It also means when you’ve got an above average income, you will have significantly more income to invest and save.
The average annual salary in Georgia is approximately $37,000 and is rated #50 from all of the United States. That means they possess the lowest annual salary of any state.
The average yearly income for an audio engineer in the state is around $69,000 per year. This is almost double than the common person in Georgia.
This means as an audio engineer you can create a good living, and have plenty left over for savings and investments.