The dulcimer is a beautiful and unique instrument that can be used to play a wide range of songs. From traditional folk music to contemporary pop, there are many fun songs that can be played on the dulcimer. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best songs to play on the dulcimer and provide tips for getting the most out of your instrument.
Visit our free Dulcimer Tab resource.
What are some fun songs to play on dulcimer?
- “Scarborough Fair” – This traditional English ballad is a popular choice for dulcimer players. The song is in the key of D minor and features a simple, repetitive melody that is easy to learn.
- “The Water is Wide” – Another traditional folk song, “The Water is Wide” is a hauntingly beautiful tune that sounds great on the dulcimer. The song is in the key of G and features a slow, flowing melody.
- “Amazing Grace” – This classic hymn is a favorite among dulcimer players. The song is in the key of G and features a simple, uplifting melody that is perfect for the dulcimer.
- “Danny Boy” – This Irish folk song is a popular choice for dulcimer players. The song is in the key of D and features a hauntingly beautiful melody that is sure to captivate your audience.
- “Stairway to Heaven” – This iconic rock ballad by Led Zeppelin is a surprising but fun choice for dulcimer players. The song is in the key of A minor and features a complex, layered melody that can be challenging but rewarding to master.
When playing any of these songs on the dulcimer, it’s important to focus on getting the most out of your instrument. One tip is to experiment with different playing techniques, such as strumming or fingerpicking. Another tip is to practice playing the melody with both hands to create a fuller, richer sound.
It’s also important to ensure that your dulcimer is properly tuned before playing any of these songs. The dulcimer is typically tuned to an open chord, with the most common tuning being DAD. If you’re new to the instrument, it’s a good idea to invest in an electronic tuner or use an online tuner to help you get started.
In addition to these popular songs, there are many other fun tunes that can be played on the dulcimer. Some other great options include “Greensleeves”, “Whiskey Before Breakfast”, and “The Ash Grove”. The key to finding the right song for you is to experiment with different styles and genres until you find something that speaks to you.
In conclusion, the dulcimer is a versatile and beautiful instrument that can be used to play a wide range of songs. From traditional folk tunes to modern pop hits, there are many fun songs that can be played on the dulcimer. By focusing on proper technique and tuning, you can get the most out of your instrument and create beautiful music that will delight audiences of all ages.